Friday, November 24, 2006

[ranking blogs] 10 new criteria for assessing a great weblog

10 Criteria of Great Blogs

As Iain Dale explained about his system: I marked each blog out of ten on the following 10 areas: design; frequency of posting; writing ability; personality; comment; humour; range; interaction; popularity; independence of thought. This generated a mark out of 100.

James Higham uses 9 of these, sometimes combined, adds a few others and posits these as the criteria of a great blog:

1] fearless independence of thought and the ability to come out with new ideas and new perspectives on a more or less regular basis, in a spirit of genuine enquiry, unfettered by dogma, party line, prejudice or one issue obsession e.g. the 4th player, managerialism or flat rate tax; the ability to attack both sides equally and the opposite – to praise both sides equally;

2] enormous range of inclusion – either every possible aspect and ramification in a one issue blog or global scope in the issues covered in most fields, the only criteria being whether they are a] important b] interesting;

3] sheer writing ability – the ability to string words and phrases together with hardly an error [or typo], the blogger clearly educated at a reasonably high level in the language he or she was born into;

4] authority behind the writing – bona fides based on obvious [to the reader] ability in the field, life experience, a wide range of reading about the topic but not on formal qualifications or position;

5] personality & humour – this also includes ‘niceness’ or the ability to attack targets tongue in cheek, with dignity and wry humour. Quirkiness is not essential but it’s a sign the writer doesn’t take himself or his position too seriously;

6] innovative blog design as a reader service – not only pretty headers and nice colours but providing one touch information in the sidebars, accessible to readers - treating the blog as a service to the reader, rather than as a forum for one’s own opinions;

7] major works of substance from time to time – a blogger must display his bona fides by producing something substantial in fine detail, academically sound and capable of defence. This doesn’t necessarily mean a tome but does mean a long piece from time to time, on a worthy subject. This then needs to be followed through and the theme will appear in subsequent posts.

8] frequency of posting and consistency of identifiable style – maintaining the service with no huge experimental changes and giving the reader what he or she comes for over and over and over;

9] willingness to tweak - constantly working to improve everything from layout to comment, never resting on one’s laurels and saying ‘here’s my package – take it or leave it’ but rather listening, reading, learning and most importantly, growing as a blogger. A smug blog is a dead blog;

10] interaction with other bloggers and readers, comment of value on the issues of the day, mutual support e.g. this tagging business, e-mailing and well – interaction overall.

I’ve left ‘popularity’ off the list because I see it as a consequence rather than a criterion. If one takes care of the 10 criteria above, I feel popularity will come and I worry awfully about bloggers who are in it just for the stats. Mea culpa and the interesting thing is – once I stopped worrying [now I might view the stats once a day and sometimes not even that] and started concentrating on the product, the stats improved markedly anyway.

In the next post on this theme, I’ll list some of the best blogs going at this time, in my humble opinion.

Update: Tiberius Gracchus, in his Ten-Meme-Never list, has done a similar sort of thing to this.

4 Comments:

At 24 November, 2006 14:03 , Blogger Gracchi said...

I agree with your points- I remember reading when I'd just started a post on Matt Sinclair's blog which said that he did this purely for himself and I agree with him. Ultimately you blog for two reasons: firstly so that you can put down your thoughts on a page. I'm no different to anyone else and I'm sure that other readers are the same in that we all have unformed political beliefs- and blogging gives them a form. It makes you force your thought into a structure- you actually have to work out the logic of it rather than just assuming its right and not reflecting on it. Writing it down so that someone else can see what you are getting at is refining it really. The second thing is the comments and feedback- I try to respond to all my comments precisely because I know I don't know that much about the world- blogging is a way of getting into a conversation with people who have other kinds of knowledge, other specialisms and can give me their knowledge and resources in order to solve problems and issues. I'd rather have fifteen readers who came back every day and were interested in what I said and commented, than have a hundred who couldn't care less what I said and just flicked over it. The stats for me are just ego really but the interest derives from people commenting and responding and thinking and responding on their own blogs and reading stuff which challenges me and researching my own ideas and writing things down. I may myself post a response to you over the next few days because I actually think this is an interesting and important issue.

 
At 24 November, 2006 14:11 , Blogger James Higham said...

Black Quill has added another criterion - Criterion 11: bonkability. Have to confess he's right.

http://www.black-quill.com/blog/?p=80

 
At 24 November, 2006 14:18 , Blogger Mr Eugenides said...

An interesting post. You had me until "bonkability", which is where I would drop out of anyone's top 10 (though thanks to anonymouss blogging, that's not clear from reading my blog).

I understand why Iain felt that "popularity" was one of his 10 criteria, and in fact I'd say it probably played a rather more important role in his marking scheme than he cared to admit - otherwise for Guido, Con Home and himself to come out as the top 3 blogs is just a remarkable coincidence.

But, put another way, it would be rather curious if Guido came in at no.35 but some mug like us slotted in at 7 - gratifying, but not perhaps a true reflection of the "top 100" of the blogosphere.

As Gracchi says it's not about the stats, though of course more is better than less and it's nice to think people are coming specifically to read what you have to say; DK said on Doughty St the other day that he blogs entirely for himself, and whether this is true or not, clearly it is important (given that we do this for nothing) that we are excited and interested in what we're doing. I could probably double my stats overnight by putting "Britney Spears Sex Tape" in every post title, but what would be the point?

I was listening to Stephen King on Desert Island Discs this morning (now there's a sentence I never thought I would type!) and he mentioned that his wife had given him early encouragement by saying that "good fiction will always find an audience". I think the same is true, broadly speaking, of blogs.

 
At 25 November, 2006 20:50 , Blogger James Higham said...

Gentlemen, thanks for these - I'm working them into a blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home