[blogfocus] the concise and the succinct
On the theme of unpleasant people:
The Ranting Guttersnipe offers: Brown appears to be Blair without the smile.
James Cleverly, [referring to the paedophile asked how he’d like to be punished], writes: Apparently he was given the choice of three years in prison or three years in Canada; he chose Canada.
Iain Dale will have to be visited to discover the object of his ire: Unlike most bloggers, I don't generally believe in conspiracy theories, but in this case I smell a rat - and it's rapidly decomposing.
The Ranting Guttersnipe offers: Brown appears to be Blair without the smile.
James Cleverly, [referring to the paedophile asked how he’d like to be punished], writes: Apparently he was given the choice of three years in prison or three years in Canada; he chose Canada.
Iain Dale will have to be visited to discover the object of his ire: Unlike most bloggers, I don't generally believe in conspiracy theories, but in this case I smell a rat - and it's rapidly decomposing.
Vox Day’s eagle eye spots this: Later that evening, Ms Rodham-Clinton refused to comment upon a patch of green scales that has recently appeared on the left side of her neck.
Wat Tyler nails it: The most expensive [polly] is Gorgeous George Galloway, who's clearly far too busy on Big Brother etc to attend the Commons. Still at least that way he can't do so much damage.
Colin Campbell [on Donald Rumsfeld’s excuses]: This is what you hear from people with mental illnesses. "God told me to do it."
The Tin Drummer [referring to the Hindley-Longford show]: This shows what they can do when it isn't written or produced by people who think adults are just teenagers with a slightly lower sex drive and shorter attention spans.
DK is in fine fettle: I still believe that we should ask ourselves whether we are so evil and irresponsible that we deserve Patsy Hewitt, a woman who epitomises sanctimonious stupidity.
Mr. Eugenides adds, in support: But seriously, when we are faced with the spectacle of government ministers announcing tax rises in interviews to toddlers, how can mere insults summarise the nadir we have reached?
Neocon writes of street crime: The next time someone tells you that there is less street crime nowadays, ask them if they leave their doors unlocked overnight.
And Minette Marrin writes of the mind: These days you hardly ever hear the phrase mental illness, at least not in public sector and right-on circles.
While Quinlan reflects on his countrymen: Why Napoleon called us a nation of shop keepers I’ll never know; we’re more like a nation of befuddled aunts when it comes to the Great Game.
Moving to the wider world:
Monty Lionheart, [referring to that religious persuasion which must not be named], says enough is enough: Until several years ago no one was impacting on my way of life. But today some people are, and doing so quite deliberately.
The Baron goes ahead and names it: Germany took a page from the book of their French EU partners and pre-emptively surrendered to Islam. The Muslims had not yet become offended.
Melanie Phillips, also on this theme: But when it comes to the reporting of the Middle East, the western media can be relied upon never to allow the facts to get in the way of a steaming prejudice.
But Oliver Kamm offers a cautionary word before people take up their cudgels: But in Iraq we have created a situation in which no one has a monopoly of the means of violence.
And Deogolwulf, [take your pick whom this refers to], concludes: It takes a great effort to tell the difference between a clever man doing us wrong and an idiot doing his best.
Looking to move from ‘unpleasant people’ to ‘life and living’, I found this:
From Reactionary Snob: Can anyone tell me: What is the point of Annabel Goldie? Answers in the comment section please. First prize is a glass of the good stuff paid for by me at Whigham's Wine Bar.
And so to daily life, wine, women and nectar:
The Englishman analyses Bovril: Chicken Bovril - my favourite - sweet, salty roast chicken in a jar - but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere yesterday, they haven't withdrawn it have they?
Euro-Serf bemoans the sheer wastage of good Euro-plonk: I could have got rid of a reasonable amount of it, but they rejected my offer and are to open a tender.
Bryan Appleyard enjoyed his dinner but not the news: I just had dinner with a very well-connected man who convinced me that America will attack Iran next year.
L’Ombre, unusually, saw an olive tree: Yesterday we visited Antwerp and growing in a pot in the main square - the "Grote Markt" - was this Olive tree! The photos followed below.
Phil Edwards feels that in this helter-skelter modern life, driving isolates. I feel similarly about wearing headphones in public - which these days I almost never do, train journeys excepted. He used to wear headphones in public?
This is the softer, more reflective Iain Dale: I love Friday mornings at home. It's when a whole stack of magazines arrive on my doormat.
Johnathan Pearce, equally shy, begs to differ: Personally, I prefer the yacht and the beach. And readers of this blog know my own opinion of sailing.
Ellee Seymour reflects on life as Lady Ellee of Ely: Lady Ellee has rather a nice ring about it . Please adjust your blogrolls henceforth.
Sam Brett, as usual, gets down to the nitty-gritty: The common belief is that life's greatest pleasures consist of three key ingredients: food, wine and sex. Others say it's chocolate. Actually, I’m in the latter camp.
Dave Hill, in a similar vein, adds: Apparently, it was quite the thing for Roman hallways to be graced by a sculpture or etching of a god or just some regular guy off the street pleasuring a four-legged beast.
Cleanthes, in a timely warning: It is important to keep electricity and water apart.
Steve has a shot at flu-jabbers: My elderly but very active mother has always been sceptical of the benefit of flu vaccination, and every winter takes pleasure in pointing out which of her family and acquaintances have succumbed to the "flu", despite having had the shot that year.
A lady after my own heart – I never have jabs of any variety. Under the heading ‘simply entertaining’ were these gems:
Norm explaining his normblog polls: If you're a student of normblog polls, as I am, you'll know that the polling process goes through four stages. There's the early stage, the early-middle stage, the late-middle stage, and the last lap.
Chris Dillow produced a classic line, for him: I'll grant that good leadership does exist sometimes ... Chris is now on record.
Paul Linford took exception to comments made by Guido Fawkes Esq. over the PA and parliamentary lobby correspondents infighting and wrote: "I won't dignify that with a response," to which Guido retorted: "Err, you just have."
Prodicus asked, ‘Can we leave now?’ [referring to the EU], then went away for a holiday or something similar [work?], then came back and in his opening blog, asked, ‘Anyway, in the meantime, can we leave now, and at least attempt to steer our own course into the future?’
Now to the awards section for the most Succinct Post. You decide:
Tom Paine, on Muslim attitudes: Read it and weep.
David Farrer, on names: 99.75% of Americans named "David" are male. How odd.
Doctor Vee, excited by the scroll wheel on his mouse: I have control over where my links open.
Tim Montgomerie: Cameron opens door to Trimble - UTV. The preposition would appear to be important here.
… and finally, Gavin Ayling, [on Denmark standing proud]: Good.
Sadly inactive this week:
http://www.dailypropaganda.co.uk/
http://indecent-left.blogspot.com/
More Blogfocus on Tuesday evening from 21:00, London time.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home