Thursday, September 21, 2006

[the dale list] the tendency to club and the philosophy of inclusion

The Dale list has certainly set the cat among the pigeons, no two ways about it and it’s possible to identify different levels of attachment to it. The inner circle have forged readerships largely on the strength of their outside work and most of these have been published in the dead-tree medium.

The blog is the factory outlet, if you like, for their product and it’s certainly a club but by no means closed. As Iain Dale himself says, one must attend the right parties and I imagine he’d add that it doesn’t do to dally with the largely irrelevant and certainly not with the uppity-disgruntled.

Into this is inserted a list, which his detractors, those almost certainly occupying positions 101 to 150, have been sent into apoplexy over. Witness the very public slanging match in the comments section on Iain’s own site, following publication. Those who felt they had a perfect right to be included and weren’t, are miffed – exceedingly so. In short, the list has been hugely divisive in the British blogosphere and those we could loosely identify as fine UK bloggers are now divided into camps and on the say-so of one man, albeit an influential one.

In effect, his influence has now increased out of all proportion, as those on the inside, including, I might add, Eurorevolutionaries and ex-Marxist luminaries, remain very quiet and even allow themselves pats on the back in the sidebars. To these I say well done and without a trace of irony, it seems to me that they’ve paid their dues and have now reaped the rewards.

Unfortunately, what I’ve also seen in these last days are varying attempts to come to grips with being left off the lists. From the apoplexy of some of Iain’s own commenters to the ordinary blogger who felt he had something to say, who was essentially British, had reason to feel he was part of a larger ‘club’ and has now found himself marginalized for his efforts, the issue rankles.

There have been three reactions. Those who still entertain hopes of inclusion remain silent; those who are apoplectic are being so and then there are the bands of cut-throat pirates who are vowing revenge.

I hasten to add that I do not include myself, as I know my place as a Johnny-come-lately and loose cannon, with suspected links to American and Canadian readerships but I do feel for certain correspondents who were once part of the UK blogosphere and now virtually find themselves in Coventry and why? Because one man published a Top 100 list.

This is divisive.

It’s also predicated on technology and RSS feeds, html linking and various other goodies have now conjoined to enclose the inner circle and the rest can fend for themselves.

Which is a pity because I feel there are many ‘associate’ or ‘provisional’ members out there who have quite distinctive styles, identifiable angles and something to say, which Iain himself conceded, who now find themselves somewhat marginalized and threshing about in the shallows whilst HMS Dale, its august captain and motley crew sail proudly off into the sunset.

You’ve missed the boat, chums but perhaps they’ll return for you one day.

7 Comments:

At 21 September, 2006 08:10 , Blogger Prodicus said...

It makes no difference to me whether I am on someone's 'recommended' list or not. I am not looking for 'circulation figures', or anyone's praise or otherwise.

 
At 21 September, 2006 08:12 , Blogger Prodicus said...

The blogosphere is the whole world. It's not a club. I can't see how words like 'divisive' or 'inclusive' apply.

 
At 21 September, 2006 09:38 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make some good points, I personally was surprised to be included in Iains lists as my output varies both in frequecy and content.

I also have no "in's" to to the establishment which means my content on politics or news is very much based on what I find reported either online or in the news.

I blog because it's the only way that I feel that I can make my views known, no matter how small my readership is, and even if I had no readership I would still blog.

I see nothing wrong with Iain or anyone else promoting a list of blogs with their own grading and recommendations, after all it's one persons list and views and many people won't agree.

We all gravitate to the bloggers we prefer, Iains list just formalises his favourites.

 
At 21 September, 2006 11:06 , Blogger Mr Eugenides said...

Interesting post. I'm in the slightly odd position of agreeing with both sides in this.

Iain is perfectly at liberty to make such a list, (and I'm happy to be on one of them); in this context whether it is self-publicity or not is almost besides the point.

At the same time, just as it is absurd to suggest that my blog is 'better' than a blog listed lower down the right-wing list he produced, so it is a little elitist, and goes somewhat against the grain of the blogosphere I think, for some people to be on a list and others not.

But that said, had I not been on any of his lists, I might have been mildly miffed, but would not have let it disturb my sleep.

I would say one thing in Iain's defence, though; when I first dipped my toe into the blogging waters, I had no idea who was what, and where the "best" [heavy quote marks] blogs were to be found. Iain's guide will help to demystify blogging for the virgins, and serves as a useful enough roadmap for the uninitiated. The blogosphere can be pretty confusing, and the charm of blogging - the almost random linking between blogs of all political, cultural and geographical stripes - also makes it hard to navigate.

If it boosts his site traffic, or helps him shift a few books, good for him.

 
At 21 September, 2006 11:54 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I didn't even know I was on 'the list' until someone pointed it out to me...

 
At 21 September, 2006 13:04 , Blogger Reactionary Snob said...

I'm in the same boat as the Councillor. I didn't realise I was on the list until a reader pointed it out.

I managed to make 87th on the non-aligned list. I started blogging in August - so it is hardly an exclusive club to break into.

His guide may be of some use to new bloggers... although, I would presume that the 400 listed blogs will now get a few more hits.

 
At 21 September, 2006 21:58 , Blogger Tim Newman said...

I kind of dismissed the list when I saw it didn't include Samizdata anywhere on it. Given that it is one of the oldest and most popular blogs in the UK, and by far the most popular and well-known UK libertarian blog out there, I saw the omission as indicative of a flaw in Mr Dale's methodology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home